Virtual Volunteering in times of COVID-19
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.” – Leo Buscaglia
COVID-19 has changed the world we live in forever. We are struggling and fighting for survival in an unseen and unknown situation. In order to limit the spread of contagion, we have to follow social distancing norms. Cities across the world are imposing lockdown and restrictions to curtail free movement of citizens. Schools are promoting online education and organizations are encouraging employees to work from home.
With people in distress, the world needs volunteers more than ever. As responsible citizens, we have to explore newer ways and find opportunities to offer virtual volunteer during COVID-19 lockdown.
COVID-19 Virtual Volunteering Opportunities
The world has come to a standstill with the contagion spreading quickly across the boundaries. The medical team, the police force, and the onsite volunteers are the frontline Corona warriors. They are risking their lives to assist healing and treatment of those infected. However, there is a need for a strong support system to ensure the smooth flow of their work. A lot of planning needs to be done in the backend for COVID-19 Virtual Volunteering.
- Mapping areas to assist disaster response.
- Contact tracing of infected individuals.
- Arranging setup of isolation centers.
- Tracking of medical supplies, PPE kits, face shields, etcetera.
- Arranging food for corona warriors and those who are isolated or quarantined.
- Fundraising for various activities.
- Setting up contactless protocols and procedures.
- Arranging and distribution of relief material for needy.
- Assisting sr. citizens with shopping need to keep them indoors.
- Finding donors to keep orphanages and assisted living facilities operational.
- Distribution of masks for the homeless.
- Creating awareness about the corona, social distancing, and safety protocols.
These virtual volunteer mobilization strategies can be coordinated from the comfort of your home with a computer, laptop, or tablet and a good internet connection. You can help spread awareness and information on social media by blogging on popular sites, uploading videos on youtube, trending on twitter, creating insta-stories, and more.
Besides the activities related to COVID-care, there are many ways in which you can make a difference for society. Everyone is affected in some or the other ways because of the ongoing corona crises. Contribute your time and use your skills and passion to make a difference in their life.
- Help a community school with an online education setup.
- Read a story to specially-abled kids.
- Record audiobooks for visually challenged.
- Create a contactless attendance system for factories in rural areas.
- Promote and market handmade masks stitched by women from the economically weaker sections.
- Help farmers sell their produce in the local market as exports and interstate transport movements are affected.
- Make video tutorials on various topics like art, music, cooking, and more to keep children engaged and more.
There are many ways in which you can make a difference to those around you.
Goodera is a platform where non-profits, organizations, and individuals can post and explore endless virtual volunteering opportunities across the globe. Companies can enroll with Goodera and explore the world of doing good!